Skip to content
Travel Safety

In This Section
Health Insurance


  • Loading...

View All

Login: Cornell Users | External Admin

Health Insurance while abroad
Students must be covered by an active international health insurance policy throughout their semester or year before and any periods of travel before or after. 

As registered Cornell students while studying abroad, students should have coverage that meets the following criteria:

  1. Provide coverage for medically necessary care (NOT just emergency care) while abroad
  2. Cover pre-existing conditions
  3. Cover you in your host country and during your travels while you are abroad
  4. Have a maximum benefit of at least $500,000* per year
  5. Provide inpatient and outpatient mental health coverage

If you do not have an insurance company that meets these coverages then we urge you to contact iNext for your insurance needs.

*this amount is flexible. 

Students will verify that they have insurance to Cornell Abroad in an on-line questionnaire which is part of the pre-departure phase of their application.  Student who have SHIP (see below) need only identify their enrollment.

Students enrolled on the Cornell Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) are covered outside the United States at the level required.  Please note that like most policies, SHIP reimburses students up to a percentage of the total cost of approved health care expenses.  Students will be expected to pay any up-front costs.

If you are covered by a policy other than SHIP, make sure that the level of coverage does not decrease when you are overseas.  If so, find out whether you can obtain a rider to attain the necessary level of coverage.  If this is not possible, you can get SHIP for the year (simply do not submit a waiver in the summer) or you can obtain SHIP in the spring, by indicating your need to add this coverage on the Medical & Accident Insurance form and by completing an additional insurance form that will be provided by Cornell Abroad.  Please note that once you sign up for SHIP, you cannot waive or drop the policy.

Study Abroad programs may provide or require their own insurance coverage.  In most cases this coverage does NOT meet Cornell's requirements.  It is not unusual for a student to be covered by two or three policies while abroad.

Cornell University provides Cornell Abroad students with Emergency Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance through United Health Care Global (formerly, FrontierMEDEX)  (see "Safety & Security").  This is not regular medical insurance, but is an important supplement. 

For more information see:

Student Handbook
Parent Essentials


GSA Partner

Cornell Abroad 300 Caldwell Hall Ithaca, NY 14853 p: 607.255.6224 f: 607.255.8700

In an EMERGENCY for a student abroad, call the Cornell Police: 607.255.1111
Last modified 10/24/2016