Skip to content

Login: Cornell Users | External Admin

Financial Aid

Will my finacial aid apply?

For approved undergraduate semester/year study abroad, your financial aid travels with you. Aid is needs-based, consistent with university and government policies and covers all costs relative to study abroad. The normal work-study component of your aid package will be converted to student loans.

The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) remains the same for the academic year and aid is adjusted according to the higher or lower costs of the program. Students participating in an off-campus program should sign up for direct deposit through the Bursar’s Office.


What if I don't receive financial aid? 

If you have not received financial aid before, you may become eligible if the costs exceed those for an equivalent period of study in Ithaca.  If you do not receive financial aid but think you may become eligible, visit the Financial Aid Office in advance of your intended semester abroad.


Students pay deposits directly to all programs that are not "Cornell-In" programs.  Cornell Abroad instructs all study abroad programs and universities to invoice Cornell Abroad for program costs less the amount of the deposit. Cornell Abroad charges the student’s Cornell Bursar account for program tuition and CIPT mandatory program fee. Your Cornell Bursar bill in July and/or December will reflect these charges and must be paid by the date indicated to remain a registered Cornell student.

Other Costs

The following items are all included in the estimated costs for financial aid.  Many of these, if not billed directly by the program, will be "out of pocket" costs:
  • Housing (if not included in program / sponsor fees)
  • Meals (if not included in the housing costs)
  • Visa
  • Required immunizations
  • International travel from the home state
  • Local transportation
  • Books and materials
  • Personal expenses
Students with outstanding balances on their Cornell bursar bill will be contacted by Cornell Abroad and asked to resolve their bill before payment will be issued for their study abroad program.



GSA Partner

Cornell Abroad 300 Caldwell Hall Ithaca, NY 14853 p: 607.255.6224 f: 607.255.8700

In an EMERGENCY for a student abroad, call the Cornell Police: 607.255.1111
Last modified 09/09/2016